´I must stop eating crisps, I must stop eating crisps, I must stop eating crisps´. So healthy homemade oatcakes it is! Shop bought oatcakes are too expensive and these are really cheap and quick to make. I’ve added rosemary (which I am addicted to) and black pepper so that there is more flavour than your average oatcake. I’ve also replaced the butter with coconut oil to make them even healthier.
ROSEMARY & BLACK PEPPER MINI OATCAKES
This recipe is for a batch of around 40 mini oatcakes, double the quantities if you want to make more, they store really well.
YOU WILL NEED
- 115g oats
- 30g wholewheat flour
- 1 dessert spoon of dried rosemary
- a good grind of coarse black pepper
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 30g coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 40 ml hot water
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- In a bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients.
- Add the coconut oil and rub together until everything is mixed thoroughly.
- Gradually add the hot water (from the kettle) mixing as you go until you have a thick dough. Don´t make it too wet, so make sure you add the water a bit at a time.
- Roll out the dough (to be honest I did this with my hands). Aim for a thickness of no more than .5cm for the best crunch. Then cut to whatever shape suits you. I make rounds as well as easy dipping strips.
- Put the oatcakes on a baking tray and bake for approx. 20mins. or until slightly golden brown.
HOW TO SERVE YOUR OATCAKES (my favourites)
- Serve nude, (not you! …the oatcakes)
- Serve with a delicious dollop of cream cheese topped with fresh herbs
- Serve with sharp cheddar cheese / dolcelatte / stilton
- Serve with ham and a slice of pickle
- Serve with pate and slice of tomato
- Serve with a bowl of hummous
- Serve with sweet watermelon rind chunks
The list is pretty endless…
I´d love to know what you do with yours, let me know.